One or two educationally backward pockets of the district, which ay be with-in-easy reach from the District will be specially chosen for conducting above studies as well as a lot of action research activities. These may be called the ‘Lab area’ of the DIET. However, while a lot of studies and action research will be concentrated in the lab area, they would not be necessarily confined to this area, and other suitable areas would also be chosen depending on the nature of work involved.
3. To provide technical assistance to educational authorities in (i) school mapping, (ii) Micro-planning for UPE/AUEE in an area specific and target group specific manner, (iii) formation and activation of school complexes, (iv) institutional planning for school complexes, schools etc., and (v) institutional evaluation.
4. To serve as the nodal branch in relation to all programmes of community involvement in basic education, and in particular, to conduct orientation programmes for members
5. Head of school Complexes and Block level educational functionaries in P&M, covering areas like leadership, motivation, involving the community, educational administration, finance and accounting, office procedure, planning for UPE/UEE, institutional planning etc.
6. To appraise the efficacy of various programmes of educational development implemented in the district especially vis-ŕ-vis the objectives of UPE/UEE and NLM.
7. To act as the nodal branch for preparing quin-quennial and annual institutional plans and annual self evaluation reports for the DIET, and for liasing with the DBE.
8. To provide P&M related inputs into all other programmes/activities of the institute e.g. pre-service and in-service programmes for teachers, training programmes for NFE/AE personnel, Field Interaction (including Extension) activities, Action Research etc. with special reference to the areas listed under(3) above.